Across investor accounts, we have bought Clydesdale Bank (CYB), the UK based full-service bank focused on consumers and small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs). The purchase was funded via the sale of Bank of Queensland (BOQ.ASX).
We are positive on the medium-term outlook for CYB for the following reasons:
- CYB is well positioned to grow its loan and deposit book due to structural tailwinds for UK challenger banks, reductions in its capital requirements, its ability to source deposits at costs that are in line with larger incumbents; and leveraging opportunities arising from the recent Virgin Money merger
- The UK government is looking to increase competition in the system. They are introducing a variety of incentives to help customers switch to smaller challenger banks;
- CYB recently gained IRB (internal ratings-based approach) accreditation significantly reducing the capital intensity of the business as it reducing the risk weighting of loans. This means going forward it requires less capital to fund growth;
- Deposit funding costs of the existing bank are broadly in line with large incumbents and well below other challenger banks meaning CYBG should have a pricing advantage vs competitors and should also be able to improve the profitability
- CYB has significant balance sheet capacity to fund growth and should be able to increase its dividend payout ratio
We have funded the purchase through the sale of BOQ. BOQ’s recent result highlighted the pressures that increased funding costs and competitive lending environments are having on regional banks and we expect earnings to remain under pressure in the near term. The positive catalysts in CYB flowing from the Virgin Money (VMA) acquisition mean that we see CYB as a more attractive proposition.
As with all equity investment, CYB is not without risk. While the strategic rationale behind the VMA merger is sound, as with all mergers, there remains the risk that the value of merger synergies (e.g. economies of scale, best practice, the sharing of capabilities and opportunities) may be overestimated.
For more information refer to the CYB Company Snapshot attached.
If you have any queries, please contact SBB Wealth
WARNINGS AND DISCLOSURES: This material has been prepared for general information purposes only and not as specific advice to any particular person. Any advice contained in this material is General Advice and does not take into account any person’s individual investment objectives, financial situation or needs. Before making an investment decision based on this advice you should consider whether it is appropriate to your particular circumstances, alternatively seek professional advice. Where the General Advice relates to the acquisition or possible acquisition of a financial product, you should obtain a Product Disclosure Statement (“PDS”) relating to the product and consider the PDS before making any decision about whether to acquire the product. You will find further details of the service we provide and any cost to you within the Financial Services Guide. Any references to past investment performance are not an indication of future investment returns. Prepared by EP Financial Service Pty Ltd ABN 52 130 772 495 AFSL 325 252 (“Elston”). Although every effort has been made to verify the accuracy of the information contained in this material, Elston, its officers, representatives, employees and agents disclaim all liability (except for any liability which by law cannot be excluded), for any error, inaccuracy in, or omission from the information contained in this material or any loss or damage suffered by any person directly or indirectly through relying on this information.
EP Financial Services Pty Ltd
ABN 52 130 772 495 AFSL 325 252 (“ELSTON”)
GPO Box 2220
Brisbane Q 4001